Weekly development report 2021-01-02

At the start: happy new year for everyone :) Let's hope this one will be better than the old. Now, back to the routine.

Welcome to the weekly development report or what was done in my Open Source projects in the last week.

Steam Sky

Roguelike in a sky with steampunk theme (written in Ada)

This week work was completely focused on the development version of the game.

But the main change to the project this week is related to its organization. Long story short: the game has the new development home. It not only moved from GitHub to my server. It also changed version control system from Git to Fossil.

By a long time I was using Git as my main VCS. I was aware of existing a few alternatives like Bazaar or Mercurial but none of them was interesting for me. Around one month ago I discovered another alternative: Fossil. After reading its documentation and some small tests, I felt in love to it. :) Its commands are very similar to these used in Git, thus migration isn't too hard for muscles memory. But Fossil was designed for managing small projects, when Git was created for support creating the huge project called Linux. Also, Fossil is a lot smaller (especially on Windows and macOS) than Git. Plus, the best things: it has build-in web UI, is deadly easy to deploy on a server and easy to set up. Even on a free web hosting :) The whole observations about the Fossil SCM deserve a separated blog entry, which probably soon or later I will write.

By the earlier month I was slowly moving my other projects to Fossil from Git and in this week I finally moved Steam Sky too. Not everything was done perfectly, for example the stable version of the game is still hosted on GitHub. But I'm still much happier with Fossil than with Git. It makes the project management a much easier: having everything in one place, even the development forum is a very nice feature. Plus, I started thinking about using Fossil even as the main page for the game: it is very cutomizable and uses a lot less resources than any common solution like WordPress or phpBB. But this is still food for thoughts. The link to the source code was also updated thus, everyone can see how it looks now :)

Generally, as Steam Sky was always an experimental field for me with some programming related technologies, now it is a unique project: not only written in Ada and some parts even in Tcl, but also stored and managed by Fossil :D

TASHY2

Ada binding to Tcl/Tk, the new version of TASHY

This week was mostly designated to creating the project's unit tests. And fixing all problems which they are detected :) Tk_Widget package is for now tested, and started work on unit tests for Tk_Button. Also, here is a new Tcl binding for command info exists variable of course with added unit test for it too. More bindings for command info will be added later.

Hunter

Graphical File Manager for Linux (written in Ada)

Finally, finished moving packages to the proper directories. The code documentation got some updates either. Also, added some labels to a few loops to make the code more readable. And at the end, started work on the main feature of this release: a console version of the program. At this moment I mostly remind myself how to use ncurses library. But some, very small work in the project organization and started work on the program menu in console. Also, the project page got some work: added About page plus some documentation cleanup.

www.laeran.pl

Yass project to generate this website

All changes to the page are invisible for humans. Only small correction to setting default viewport for the page and added meta tag with information about the author of the page. Also, the project page got small lifting.

Docker Ada

Various Docker images files related to the Ada programming language

AdaBuild was updated with adding Ada binding for the ncurses library. It was needed for the new version of Hunter. Also, documentation of the project got some updates. Now it should be easier to find the list of available Docker images.

Back